Wellington.Scoop » Completion of redeveloped Frank Kitts Park playground delayed by a year
The Frank Kitts Park playground, which was closed for a $6 million redevelopment, will not reopen until late next year. It was due to reopen last month.
The news was tweeted today by Wellington City Council, in response to a question about why it is still closed.
— Greg B (@docgregb) November 4, 2022
Work on the playground has been on hold since the liquidation of the company that was in charge of the redevelopment. As the NZ Herald reported in August:
The shareholders of Armstrong Downes Commercial 2012 entrusted their business to David Ruscoe and Russell Moore of Grant Thornton, we learned in May. The playground was undergoing a facelift after its slide was removed last year following what the city council described as “unfortunate” incidents. One was a 5-year-old girl who broke her leg while playing on the tower slide.
In August, the board said Downer was taking over the project and that it would be completed by March or April next year at an additional cost of $1.5 million following liquidation.
But today’s tweet, without explaining why the delay is extended, says the popular playground won’t be accessible until “summer 2023”. No play games at the water’s edge this summer. Just a wasteland.