Vandals attack popular South Dublin playground

Gardaí are appealing for information after a popular new playground in south Dublin was set on fire last Friday.

South Dublin County Council staff discovered that materials for a new playground had been deliberately set on fire and burned. The Council has ordered new equipment to proceed with the wooded playground.

The newly built playground cost £50,000 and is a popular place for families to visit in the grounds of Rathfarnham Castle.

Talk to BreakingNews.ieSouth Dublin County Councilor David McManus said it was not the first time vandalism had occurred at the location.

It is believed that people came to the park late at night to drink and set fire to one of the trees, which spread to equipment in the playground.

“These thugs have vandalized public property and are a thunderous disgrace. This new £50,000 playground has been installed following representations that myself and local residents had made to South Dublin County Council, with the works having recently started in March,” he said.

They have since ordered new equipment and part of the park is currently surrounded by fences awaiting repairs.

He urges anyone who saw anything suspicious last Friday evening around Rathfarnham Castle grounds to contact Rathfarnham Garda station on 01 666 6082.

Mr McManus said he hoped the Gardaí would catch who did it, and that they would be dealt with properly, possibly even punishment by the courts.

In his eyes, “this is criminal damage to public property”, so the consequences should be serious.

South Dublin County Councilor David McManus at the site of Rathfarnham Castle grounds

Harold B. McConnell