How to Use OpenAI Playground to Write Anything for You
- The OpenAI Playground is a new tool that lets you have an AI robot write almost anything for you.
- You can ask Playground AI questions, start a conversation with it, use it to write short stories, and more.
- To use Playground AI, you will need to create an account on the OpenAI website.
The internet is full of fun artificial intelligence tools, and the OpenAI research lab is behind them. Most of OpenAI’s projects are only accessible to a limited number of people, but their new tool, Playground, is open to everyone. And recently, it had a big impact on social media.
Here’s how Playground works and how to use it.
OpenAI’s Playground can respond to any prompt
Playground is a predictive language tool. In other words, it features AIs that are trained to complement or respond to everything you type in the most authentic and “human” way possible. Bots like this have been around for years (remember Cleverbot?) but Playground is giving you a try with OpenAI’s best tools.
It comes with a few different templates that you can use to spark your inspiration. For example, you can choose Chat to have a conversation with the bot, or Q&A to set up a Q&A session with it. But users have had the most fun simply asking him to write stories for them or come up with ideas for new TV shows.
There are other modes that allow you to type text that someone has already written and have the AI insert new text inside or edit it. You can also change its “temperature” (how the response it gives makes sense), its “frequency” (how much it repeats), and more.
Playground is mostly free, but has a time limit
When you create your OpenAI account, you receive an $18 credit to get started. Considering the AI only costs about six cents per 4000 characters generated, that $18 should last you an incredibly long time.
After three months, the free credits will expire. Once you hit that time limit (or if you use them all up before then), you’ll need to buy more by contacting the OpenAI sales team.
How to Use the OpenAI Playground
Before you can use Playground, you need to create an OpenAI account. You can do this on a computer or a phone.
1. Go to the OpenAI API page and click Register top right. You can sign in with your Google or Microsoft account, or register with a separate email address. If you use a separate email, you’ll need to enter a code they send you.
2. Enter your name and (if desired) your organization, then verify your phone number.
3. When you are asked How will you primarily use OpenAIchoose the option that says I explore personal use.
4. After a while, you will be taken to your OpenAI account home page. Click on Playground at the top of the screen.
You now have access to Playground.
When you start, you will only have an empty text box. Type whatever you want in this box and click Submit down, and the AI will respond to it after a few seconds. Anything the AI gives you will be highlighted in green.
If you’re having trouble coming up with an idea, check out the Load a preset drop-down menu in the upper right corner. These options insert a prompt that you can use to get started.
Below this drop-down list are more advanced options. For example, you can choose what Fashion the tool is in place: do you want it to respond to your prompts, insert new text into something that’s already been written, or modify that text?
You can also use the Model options to choose which AI you want to talk to. The default option, text-davinci-002, is the most advanced. The other AIs aren’t as smart, but they also don’t spend as many credits when you generate text with them.
The other sliders let you control the logic of the AI’s responses, how long the responses last, how often they can repeat, and more. Hover over any of the options for more details.
Ask the AI questions, make requests to it – use your imagination. You’ll be surprised how well he knows pop culture.